Monday, July 25, 2016

Alternate Art

There's a "regular" feature here that I've neglected far too long, especially considering how much fuel I have on hand. That is, more snippets of my collection: oddly-edited cards, misprints and general esoterica uncovered by yours truly during regular romps through the local commons bin.

Today's feature? A couple of cards featuring unique alternate art... not from the original artist.


Yessir, there's a measured rectangle of paper pasted over the art box with a customized image to replace it - rendered semi-carefully in what I'd guess is ballpoint pen. I can't quite make out what's going on here, but my best guess involves a fairy sitting on a small object being blown apart in classic "Destroy target artifact" fashion. It looks like an anime-esque sort of scene, if I didn't know any better.

Along with it was this great big spender willing to deface an honest-to-God rare card with their childish mischief. The game-breaking Monstrous Hound has to be a big, expensive deal - it was the prerelease card for Exodus, after all! Is my sarcasm blatant enough at this point?
Anyways, this one-of-a-kind alteration features... Monstrous Chinchillas? It's an odd choice to alter a creature that specifically mentions what kind of creature it is (twice, really) into something completely different, but this is the same guy who did this then left the card for someone else to find, so clearly we're dealing with a maniac here.

Anyways, as you can see that I'm the lucky owner of some very unique, very expensive altered cards. Any old fool can track down the artist responsible for the card to change its picture, but to contact an anonymous, unknown party? Why, that's basically impossible! Check and mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment